Friday, October 8, 2010

Preschool Story Times Have Begun!

Thinking Library!
Carole Stanger
October 9, 2010

New Books Upstairs @ the library!
Tough Customer by Sandra Brown
Bad Blood by John Sanford
Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
Don’t Blink by James Patterson
My Lost Daughter by Nancy Rosenberg
Gingerbread Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
Confession of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim
Don’t Cry by Beverly Barton

Coming Events @ the Library!
Library Hours!
Monday – Friday 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Sundays—closed..
Check out our website http://www.atlantic.lib.ia.us
Story Time Programs for 3, 4, & 5 year olds! No registration necessary! Free!
Wed./Thurs. Oct. 20/21 Preschool Story Time 10 – 10:45 a.m.
Wed./Thurs. Nov. 3/4 Preschool Story Time 10-10:45 a.m.
Wed./Thurs. Nov. 17/18 Preschool Story Time 10-10:45 a.m.
Election Tuesday, Nov. 2, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Grove Twshp and Atlantic Ward 2 vote at the Atlantic Public Library. For other Atlantic Wards check http://www.atlantic.lib.ia.us/city_ward_map.htm
Friends of the Atlantic Public Library Semi Annual Used Book Sale! Friday & Saturday Nov. 19 & 20! Wait to bring your books to the library until after November 2.


Did You Know… if you have Internet access at home, you can check your library account to see if you have any reserves ready to pick up, place you name for a reserve on a particular book, find out when your books are due and even find out if the library has a certain book? If you don’t have Internet access, that doesn’t mean you can’t ask at the library checkout desk for a book to be reserved or any of the other tasks as well!

Behind My Desk… As I’ve grown older I truly do appreciate automatic door openers into buildings. I also now see a different side when it comes to maintenance of these doors. I cringe now when I see someone force an automatic door to open quicker or wider. Oh, folks, what that does to the mechanics of the door is not pretty. I used to be very impatient with those things, too. I am a whole lot kinder and gentler to those doors now. It’s not a good thing to leave a door propped open when the machinery wants to close it. It’s also not a toy for children to play with, either.


I plan to try an experiment with people who have “smart phones.” My cell phone is not smart. (We’re not talking about the operator here—that’s a given with some of this new stuff!) I think if you can access the Internet with your cell phone, it’s smart. Anyway, I plan to post some barcodes at the library that you can scan with your smart phone for reader’s advisory lists. It’s another way for people to use their phones. (It’s not just for communication anymore!). Just when I think I have almost reached my saturation point with new gizmos, I learn about something that might even tempt me! Those Ipads and Kindles are really cool!

The Atlantic Public Library board and staff wish to acknowledge the wonderful bequest given by the estate of James Hunt. Thank you so much.

…Keep Thinking Libraries!

No comments:

Post a Comment