Thursday, May 3, 2012

Beginnings & Endings @ Your Library!


Thinking Library!

Carole Stanger
May 5, 2012

New Books Upstairs @ the library!
          Rage of the Dragon  by Margaret Weis
          Deadlocked  by Charlaine Harris
          Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch  by  Nancy Atherton
Sweet Designs: Bake It, Craft It, Style It  by  Amy Atlas
Good Father by Diane Chamberlain
Fodor’s 2012 London  by Robert Fisher
50 Shades of Grey  by E.L. James
Easy to Build Birdhouses  by A. J. Hamler

Coming Events @ the Library!
  • Library Hours!
Monday – Friday 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Sundays—closed
  • The Library Board regular meeting Monday, May 9, 2012, 5:30 p.m. meeting room upstairs.
  • All Cass County Reads final program with Rosanne Bachman, Saturday, May 12 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Griswold Community Center in conjunction with the Lewis Public Library!
  • Tuesday & Wednesday, May 15 & 16, One-Stop Registration for Summer Programs, Washington School Gym from 5-7 p.m. each evening.
  • Summer Reading Programs start June 1st!  Themes are: “Dream Big—READ” for PreK thru 3rd Grade and “Own the Night” for 4th thru 8th Grade.

Did You Know… The Genealogical section at the Atlantic Public Library has an obituary file available for searching?  Stop by and take a look!

Behind My Desk… It’s May!  We are putting together a Titanic display in the entrance lobby.  A patron has loaned us a replica of a huge dinner bell.  It’s
quite impressive!  We also have included a few copies of the front pages of the Atlantic newspapers giving accounts as they received them.  We are still learning a great deal about that night one hundred years later.  It holds a fascination with many people. 
 
I goofed on the place and time for the final program for the All Cass County Reads program in my last article.  Thank goodness, I can make the correction in this one!  The program will start at 9:30 and will be held at the Griswold Community Center on Saturday, May 12.  I hope some of you can make it to hear Rosanne talk about her experiences with her family and mental illness. 

This week I lost another special friend.  In fact, I've lost two special friends this year and both of them were Mrs. Miller.  These two were teachers of mine.  Not only that, though, they were friends of my family; so I knew them beyond the school atmosphere.  I was from the Boomer generation, so my class in Lenox, Iowa was the first class that had to be split into two sections.  These two ladies were "hard" teachers, and a lot of the kids really didn't like them very much. 

The Mrs. Miller who passed away this week was special because we traveled together more than once to the British Isles.  Pauline was a great traveler (not everyone is), and I enjoyed our trips so much and learned so much.  I am so glad I had those special times.

So, I thank both Pauline and Mary Lou for teaching me so much and making my life richer for having known them.

Have a nice week, and…Keep Thinking Libraries!

No comments:

Post a Comment